Six Simple Ways to Overcoming OverwhelmJul 27, 2023
𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐦𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐜𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬, 𝐈 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐦 𝐢𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐢𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐛𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞. Overwhelm can hit you anytime and for so many reasons--a time-sensitive project hits your desk, your parent has a serious health issue and you are suddenly a caregiver on top of your other responsibilities, your emotions are high and every duty seems like it is one more drop in that rain bucket and it is about to overfill.
Here are my 6 top strategies for getting out of overwhelm and back to a responsive, not reactive state:
1. Pause - everything starts with practicing the pause. Pausing automatically allows us to pull back from the strong emotion and "witness" it instead of allowing it to control us.
2. Accept the emotion - recognize and name the emotion, so you can begin to become more responsive to it.
3. Move into the present moment - come out of the mind and into the body in whatever way is supportive for you. Notice your breath, your senses, do something physical, or do a quick scan of your body and notice where you are holding that emotion physically.
4. Focus on what you can control - once you are less reactive, you can begin to form a plan. What is within your control right now? What parts of this project can you start? What might you need to delegate or let go of in your life to allow space for what is more important?
5. Prioritize - create a priority list, either physically or in your phone or calendar. Then check off or remove as you complete each task. I love lists! They keep us on track and release our minds from the clutter of holding space for all that needs to be done.
6. Allow yourself time to recharge - make sure throughout the entire process you allow yourself time to recharge. What that looks like is different for everyone. But even 5 minutes of quiet, music, or nature can help you to reset and recharge. Don't try to skip this step or you will quite possibly end up right back where you started. Resting and recharging are necessary parts of our life experience.
𝐖𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐥 𝐮𝐩 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠?
I hold dedicated space for you each session to share, gain strategies to help you to thrive more, and work them into your life in easy, doable ways.
If you are interested to learn more, schedule a free discovery chat here: https://calendly.com/reneehagarsmithcoach/introconsultation